Some days ago we went to a fancy new restaurant and there was a very tasty side-dish - a red cabbage confit. So I decided to find the recipe and to make it at home. This recipe is from here.Ingredients:
- 1 small head red cabbage, quartered and cored
- 1 medium red beet
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bouquet garni (thyme, rosemary, parsley and bay leaf)
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice or orange concentrate
- ½ cup dry red wine
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Slice the cabbage into ¼-inch wide ribbons and place in a large bowl. Peel the beet and grate it on the large holes of a box grater. Add the grated beet, vinegar, and sugar to the cabbage and mix until well combined. Set aside for 30 minutes.
Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a large deep sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the marinated cabbage mixture and bouquet garni and cook for 10 minutes.