Friday, February 01, 2013

Cheese sticks

Cheese sticksThese cheese sticks are irresistible. Their salty taste is welcome on the table with a bowl of soup, with a glas of beer or inbetween two spoons of sweet dessert. Recently I hosted a ladies' party with lots of sweet treats and I was looking for something which will act as the coffee beans in the perfume shops, something which cleans the previous tastes and gives vent to another ones. I made these sticks. 
One portion at first. 
Second portion after I ate the whole first batch still hot. 
Believe it or not, these sticks became the stars of the party. 
Cheese sticks preparation
The recipe is from one of my very favorite blogs - Alexandra cooks. 
Usually the first time I prepare somebody else's recipe, I follow the amounts of ingredients strictly and next time I adjust them to my taste. This time there is no need of such adjustments - these sticks are perfect, so I recommend you to follow the exact amounts of the ingredients, as follows:

Cheese sticks with CheddarCheese sticks recipe


Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups Cheddar cheese, grated fine
  • 4 Tbsp (50 g) butter, cut into small pieces
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (sweet or hot, according to your taste)
  • 1 Tbsp heavy cream
Cheese sticksPreparation:
Preheat oven to 180° C (350°F). Line a baking tray with a parchment paper. In a large bowl put the grated Cheddar cheese, the flour, butter, salt and red pepper flakes. Mix well with your hands until the dough gets smooth and all the butter is incorporated into the mixture. Add heavy cream and knead until the mixture gets smooth and easy to handle. Sprinkle some flour onto your working surface and roll the dough into 1/8 inch thick rectangle. Cut in long sticks (about 8 inch) which are not more than 1/3 inch wide (they will puff slightly while baking). 
Put the baking tray on medium position and bake until the ends of the sticks get slightly brown (about 15 minutes). Remove from oven and let cool at room temperature. 
Cheese sticks

2 comments:

  1. You are welcome, City!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous13/3/23 19:02

    This is a great recipe. I did make one change, though. I don't know if using a silicone mat rather than parchment paper was the reason they didn't crisp up as well as I wanted, but I do suspect that to be the case. I found that cooking them or 350° worked much better to achieve the results I was hoping for. Thanks for the recipe. I found that these cheese sticks are a perfect compliment to my potato soup.

    ReplyDelete