Friday, February 03, 2012

Chicken soup for my body and soul

It is not enough to say I don't like winter, I really hate it. 
And I have my good reasons for that. There is a lot of snow outside, streets are slippery, people wear at least 5 kg of clothes, which makes them look heavy and clumsy. 
There are so many restrictions in winter. For instance - it is not a good idea to talk in the street (the cold wind will cause you a soar throat), to walk fast or run (you will fall onto the ice), to wear your new boots, produced again in a country where people haven't seen snow for years (of course, the boots are elegant, but they let in water, have no lining and their smooth soles makes you more unsure than while figure skating). 
But these are only the weather/fashion limits of winter. For me the main problem with it is the drop in my immune system. I don't know why I am so hospitable to all the viruses and bacilli all around, but every winter I have my bad days, when I take lots of pills and there are piles of used handkerchiefs around me. The last ten days were that kind. I took a sick-leave, but instead of using this opportunity to cook or shoot I could only keep the bed grumbling everything was unfair. 
What helps me to recover when I feel so low? A cup of chicken soup. Hot, comforting, restoring health. 
One of the simple things of life, which create miracles with the way I feel. Here is my recipe.



Ingredients:
  • 1 chicken, 1600 g or more
  • 1 stalk of leek, cut in 7-8 cm long pieces
  • 2 stalks of celery, cut in 7-8 cm long pieces
  • 1 onion, halved
  • 7-8 carrots, peeled
  • 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
  • 1 bunch of parsley
  • 50 g butter
  • black pepper, ground
  • juice of 1 lemon
Preparation:
Melt butter into a deep pot and add the whole chicken, breast side up. Add 4-5 Tbsp of water and simmer for 10 minutes on medium heat. Turn chicken, add the vegetables for 5 minutes, then add enough water to cover the chicken and simmer for an hour. Sieve the liquid to obtain a clear bouillon, put chicken in the middle of a plate, surround with the vegetables and serve bouillon in bowls. Everybody is allowed to cut their favourite pieces of  chicken and put them into their own plate. It is the same with the vegetables. Sprinkle some chopped parsley and lemon juice above. Serve hot and enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment