Friday, June 22, 2012

Garlic and hot pepper prawns (Gambas Al Ajillo)



Summer arrived officially. Along with the swimming and diving this means to me a lot of seafood on the table. Shrimps are common guests home, but this is one of my favorite recipes - the taste of fried garlic and hot pepper makes me feel like I am on the Mediterranean coast.
I love to visist the fish markets abroad- I love the smell of the fresh caught fish, the colors and shapes of the different species, all the inviting voices of the vendors. And when they allow me to make a picture of them, I am even happier. 


Ingredients:
  • 500 g shrimps
  • 3 Tbsp light olive oil
  • 1/2 Tbsp hot pepper flakes
  • 6 cloves of garlic, halved
  • salt to taste

Preparation:
Heat olive oil in a pan, add garlic and let it sizzle for a minute. Add hot pepper flakes, stir well and add the shrimps. Fry shrimps until their color turns to orange (about 2-3 minutes), turning them once to fry both sides. Serve hot. 

5 comments:

  1. My husband will love to see these photos...and of course he'd love to have this prawn recipe waiting for him for dinner. Heading to the market for some fresh prawns. Crossing my fingers for luck ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks incredible. Are those salt or freshwater?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Luke. These are common prawns, found in the deep waters of Mediterranean Sea and the Atlantic ocean. Freshwater prawns have a pair of extremely long, thin claws.

      Delete
  3. Meli, i will try this one this evening. We love very much prawns at home, so a new recipe is welcome. The only problem is that my son don,t like seafood at all. Laiter i will write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, I hope, you liked the recipe. I am keen to have your opinion!

    ReplyDelete